Sunday 18 June 2017

The Ordinary Colours and Primer Review


Wow, so my camera died on me whilst taking photos for this post, so I had to take this photo from my Instagram, sigh. But I wanted to get this review up anyway as a few people have asked me for my thoughts and I thought it'd best if I just wrote them up and posted on my very neglected blog.

The Ordinary is a brand which is huge right now, everyone is talking about the brand's simple, stripped back and affordable skin care line. (I have been dabbling into the skincare and will report back on my views in the next 15 years or so)... So when they announced they were coming out with Colours aka foundations everyone - even people who aren't so into beauty - got excited. As did I, so off I went and signed up for the waiting list for the launch of the foundations. I actually had to wait a whole month before I received my foundations as the waiting list went from an expected 25,000 to 250,000.

One of the reasons The Ordinary is killing it is because of the price tags. We all know that what we pay for beauty products is ridiculous compared to the factory cost. But what can we do? Refuse to buy that £25 lipstick? PAH, as if... But The Ordinary have stuck with their approach at keeping things simple and costs down with their foundations by keeping them at the low price of £5.70 for Serum and £5.90 for Coverage.

The packaging is nothing revolutionary. A small 30ml plasticy-rubbery (reminds me of Nars packaging) bottle with a black pump. They are so tiny that you probably think you don't get much product, but you get the usual 30ml that is standard for foundations. The Ordinary aren't so big on excessive packaging which I appreciate so much.

There are two different formulas at the moment - Coverage and Serum and I bought both as I just couldn't decide which one to get. I can't figure out which one I like better, some days I prefer Coverage as it provides a more medium buildable base and some days I prefer Serum as it is feels as if I'm wearing nothing on my skin. I will say the Serum one does tend to break up around my t-zone whereas I haven't noticed this problem with Coverage. Coverage is a lot less fresh looking, so if you're into that no make up make up look then I would definitely recommend Serum over Coverage. I also really appreciate that Serum has SPF 15, I would love to see more brands coming out with SPF built into make up as it would make our lives a whole lot easier! For application I personally prefer using a dense buffing brush such as Morphe M439, you obviously get a lot more coverage with a brush than a sponge and I actually find it applies quicker and easier with a brush.

I also bought the High Spreadability Fluid Primer and this is a weird one! This like The Ordinary skincare range comes in a bottle with a pipette, so I was expecting the consistency of the primer to be runny but it's actually quite thick. It's a silicone based primer so it glides over the skin and leaves it feeling so velvety smooth. I prefer this with the Coverage foundation over the Serum foundation, for some reason they just work better together. I find my pores look less visible with this primer but I can't say it helps with longevity. If I want my make up to last more than 6 hours with these foundations I will use NYX Angel Veil all over the skin and then a bit of Soap and Glory One Heck Of A Blot Primer in the t-zone.

In order to make these foundations to work, I highly recommend making sure your skin is prepped beforehand. By that I mean ensuring your skin is free from dry flakes - exfoliating once or twice a week is something you should be doing anyway! Making sure your skin is hydrated and moisturised (may I recommend Soap and Glory Speed Plump?). And of course using an oil blocking primer such as the S&G one previously mentioned in the t-zone as these foundations will break up and look SO shiny.

All in all, I really do love these foundations and since receiving them, I use them almost everyday (alternating depending on my needs). I find one pump is all I need to cover my entire face, so not only did I spend less than £6 each on these foundations, they are also going to last quite a while as they are so rich in pigment.

For reference I wear shades 2.1Y in both shades as I have yellow undertones.

They are currently still out of stock due to a shortage of pumps (haha...) but you can join the waitlist here.

These are cruelty free but they have recently joined the Estee Lauder family so supporting this company is entirely up to your discretion. You can read the statement about this decision from the CEO here.

Kiran xo

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kiran Hayre
Maira Gall