Thursday 1 March 2018

9 Tips On How To Shop Cruelty Free


I've been shopping cruelty free for a year now which means I only buy products (from make up to cleaning products) that are not tested on animals and I don't support brands that sell in China. The EU have a law which bans animal testing within the EU which is great, but that doesn't mean a brands sold in the EU are all cruelty free. I will be honest though and say I still have not found a cruelty free alternative to a few things such as toothpaste and laundry powder/conditioner but I'm still on the hunt!


But I thought I'd share a few tips on how to shop cruelty free and to let you know it is definitely not expensive! I've actually saved so much money as majority of luxury brands sell in China which means I can't buy them (sad but not sad for my wallet or ya know, the bunnies).

1. Check Cruelty Free Kitty to see what brands are on her cruelty free list. Suzi keeps her website up to date so it's definitely one of my go-to's.

2. If a brand isn't on Cruelty Free Kitty then just google search! I always just search 'Is *brand* cruelty free?' and more often than not I will find out within the first few hits. If I still don't get a clear answer then I contact the company direct.

3. Some cruelty free brands are owned by houses which unfortunately are not cruelty free e.g. Urban Decay (CF) is owned by L'Oreal (100% not CF no matter what they say). Whether or not you support brands that are owned by non-CF houses is up to your discretion. I personally do support these brands as it shows the houses that people want to support CF especially if the customers are not shopping with non-CF brands.

4. Waitrose own brand, Superdrug own brand, ALDI own brand, Method, Astonish, Ecozone are some amazing cruelty free household brands.

5. ASOS have a handy feature where you can click 'non-leather' when shopping for shoes or accessories.

6. Beauty websites have finally started adding features where you can browse cruelty free brands such as Superdrug and Beauty Bay.

7. A lot of indie brands are cruelty free such as Dose of Colours, ColourPop, Morphe, Ofra etc.

8. Synthetic make up brushes > animal hair brushes. Spectrum Brushes and Real Techniques are two of my faves.

9. Support The Body Shop's petition to end animal testing globally. This is an issue we need to keep fighting for. We have to be the voice for the animals.


-Kiran x

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kiran Hayre
Maira Gall