Sunday 27 May 2018

Kiran's Declassified Summer Survival Guide


Tell me you love the title of this blog post... Okay hi, I'm Kiran, I have some extra fat on my body so I call myself fat. Sometimes I say it in a hurtful and hateful manner (which I need to work on, I know, I know) but I also say it in a matter-of-a-fact manner. I have some extra chub rolls on my stomach, my arms a little flabby, my thighs are (gloriously) thick but are no longer toned so I am prone to the dreaded chub rub. Bare in mind, anyone whose thighs touch will probably suffer from a little bit of chub rub.

Chub rub is basically when your inner thighs get a little sweaty and chafe against each other and cause immense pain. A few summers ago, I was really quite overweight and I had the worst rashes on my legs when I wore skirts or dresses. It was horrible. My legs are slimmer now so I don't get it as bad anymore, but I am still wary of getting it so here are my tips on how to avoid that and just some tips on how to survive Summer in general.



1. Bandlettes. Ah, bandlettes, what a wonderful creation for those who do suffer with chub rub but also want to wear dresses and skirts and bare a little skin. I have some from Mish-Online and what these are are essentially thin pieces of lace or plain fabric you place on your thighs so when your legs so rub against each other, your skin is protected. These stay up due to the non-slip silicone on the inside.

2. Roll on deodorant. If you don't have bandelettes or are simply not interested, then good old roll on deodorant is a great trick. Just roll some on your inner thighs wait until it's dry and voila, instant relief! Also it's quite cooling, so it's just a nice feeling if nothing else. Also deodorant for your pits, cos ya know...no one wants to be stanky.

3. Facial mists. Ah, not only are these great for setting make up but keeping a small bottle in your bag will give you that instant refreshing hit you oh so need either on your commute (I was on the tube the other day and went to town spraying this on my face on the tube and I saw some jealous and also weirded out looks... worth it). I've been loving the new Body Shop mist in Rose - smells great, tiny bottle, instantly refreshing.



4. While we're on The Body Shop, I've been in love with their new Body Yoghurts. As someone who moisturises everyday after a shower, I've been trying to find an alternative to heavier creams and lotions for the warmer months and my prayers have been answered. The Body Yoghurts are super lightweight, not greasy at all like nope no grease to be found, absorbs into the sink in seconds and to top all that, they are also cooling. Highly recommend. I have mine in Moringa which is my fave TBS scent.

5. Midi skirts. Can midi skirts never go out of style please? I am in love with midi skirts for any occasion from work to going out. If you're not comfortable showing a lot of skin or just unsure if the weather can't justify a mini skirt then opt for a midi and you're good to go. Primark have some super cute ones in right now.

6. Got scars or stretch marks? Guess what, so does everyone else. Just own it. Chances are, no one will probably notice. I am so over being paranoid about how people see my body.

7. Ignore everything on Instagram unless it's ice cream.

8. Go light on the make up. Either skip foundation, or opt for a BB cream or even a powder foundation.

9. Carry. Water. With. You. All. The. Time. (Reusable bottles are 100% preferred).

10. If you work out at home, either do it first thing in the morning or a bit later into the evening. Don't kill yourself trying to fit in BBG if your home is boiling hot.

11. Just enjoy the sunshine. It's good for you. Mmm vitamin D. (Omg obvs wear sun screen, don't be irresponsible - but you're already wearing it everyday like someone who cares about their skin, right? Right.)

 - Kiran :)



No comments

Post a Comment

© Kiran Hayre
Maira Gall