Wednesday 29 January 2014

Less Stress, More Sleep


Stressing is something I'm an expert at. Sleeping is also something I'm an expert at. But sometimes I need a little help in each department. These are the few things that help me wind down at night and get a good nights sleep.



If I'm really having trouble falling asleep or I just need to relax a little before bed, I like to make a cup of camomile tea - I like to add a bit of honey in it just to sweeten it a little bit. Camomile tea has sedating properties so it helps you drift off into a relaxing nights sleep. It also helps with muscle pains, menstrual cramps, headaches, and it's antibacterial (one of my favourite words). Not only does it help you get to sleep, it has skin care benefits too; it contains antioxidants so it cleanses the skin and also has moisutrising properties. It also gives the complexion a healthy glow. This wonderful tea does all that and so much more, I definitely recommend getting into camomile tea.


These are two products I use a lot before bed, especially the pillow mist. The Avon Planet Spa Sleep Serenity Pillow Mist and Balm both contain camomile and lavender; the scent is so calming and relaxing. I spray the pillow mist all over my pillows (nope, I don't get any break outs from doing this) and on my duvet and I don't know if it's a pseudo thing, but I fall asleep pretty much instantly. The balm is a little something extra I do if I can be bothered, I apply this on my wrists and temples.


I finally got my hands on the Invigorate Balm by Como Shambhala from Cult Beauty; this has such a herbal, relaxing scent, it contains essential oils of Eucalyptus, peppermint, geranium and lavender. I apply this on my temples and neck and inhale the scent and it is so relaxing. It's definitely not a must have product, but it's really nice to have in my bag when I need a quick de-stress.

Of course the only true way to stress less and to sleep more is to exactly do just that. Sure, it's easy to say 'don't stress' - trust me, I know - but if you can find a way to let go and/or do something about what's stressing you then life will be so much easier. And in terms of sleep, do what you need to do earlier on in the day, get into bed early, clear your mind and sleep. Also, try to sleep within your sleep cycle - sleepytime will be your new best friend.

-Kiran xo

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kiran Hayre
Maira Gall