Tuesday 16 August 2016

The Best Beauty Advice I've Learnt Online


I have been an avid watcher and reader of YouTube and blogs since I was 16 when Michelle Phan was the queen of the beauty guru realm on YouTube. Since then I have learnt so much about beauty and the beauty industry that today I thought I'd round up some of the top tips and advice I have learnt.




1. Make up is just make up, it will wash off. Probably one of the most important pieces of advice. Make up washes off and so if you make a mistake or you're just playing around with bright pink eyeshadow, it's alright! People seem to think make up defines you as a person, but it does not. At the end of the day when you've washed it all off, what defines you then? *deep*.  I'll leave it there so you can rustle up your own thoughts on this one.

2. The Beauty Blender is a God send. Ahh, the Beauty Blender. That egg shaped sponge which makes make up application flawless. I have tried a few different sponges but nothing compares to the OG. I personally believe it is a must have for every make up lover. It blends in product oh so wonderfully, and because it is damp (definitely use it damp) it soaks up extra product so you're not left with cake face or a streaky finish.

3. Only use colour correctors if you need them. Colour correcting is huge right now, with every brand bringing out their own collection of colourful products intended for different uses. It's very easy to get sucked into the world of beauty when every blogger is using ten different correctors on their face. BUT if you don't have redness, don't reach for the green corrector, if you don't have terrible dark circles, don't reach for the peach corrector etc. Use what you need and what works for you.

Wingled liner and inner corner highlight. Two in one yas.

4. Winged liner takes practice. Seriously. Practice is perfect. I'm still on my winged liner journey. Pray for me.

5. Good brushes are the key. I have found that I can make affordable make up look flawless if I have the right tools. There's no point spending £40 on an eyeshadow palette if you don't have good brushes (trust me). Invest in good brushes (I'm not talking super expensive brushes either, Morphe, Real Techniques, Zoeva are good places to start) and you can make almost any product work for you.

6. Wash your brushes and tools regularly. Don't want bacteria spreading now do we? I do like the Beauty Blender Solid Cleanser but it be pricey - so I've been using the Dr Bronner's soap bars and they're great.

7. Tight lining is awesome. Tight lining is lining your inner upper lash line with a black kohl pencil, it gives off the appearance of thicker lashes. Awesome trick for those of us with tiny, non-existent lashes *sulks*.


8. Inner corner highlight is also awesome. Even if I'm not wearing any eyeshadow, I will still usually add a little bit of bright champagne shadow (or highlight) in my inner corners. It makes my eyes look wider, brighter and more awake. A trick I love and treasure.

9. Match your foundation to your actual cheek (not hand or chin). Better yet, get a sample! When buying a foundation, it can be tricky to find your exact shade. If you're in a drugstore, test a small patch on your cheek and go out in day light to see if it actually matches. If you're at a beauty counter, get the make up artist to test the foundation on you, or again, just a small patch on your cheek. Go out into natural lighting (never trust the lighting in those stores) and see if it matches. If you're investing into a pricey foundation, try and get a sample before you splash out.

10. Trends come and go. So stick to what you know and love. By all means, try out the new trends but if you find yourself not looking like everyone on Instagram, it's not the end of the world. (But seriously, do you know how much make up they actually pile on to make their highlight look that banging?) As I said it's just make up, so do what makes you feel good. Whether that may be wearing a BB cream and mascara, or sporting a full face just to go to Tesco. You do you, gurl (and boy).

-Kiran xo

No comments

Post a Comment

© Kiran Hayre
Maira Gall